Thursday, April 14, 2011

Healing the Broken Heart

This website gives tips to parents and children on how to acknowledge the distress signals, how to treat it.
Don't Ignore the Distress Signals
For Parents:
*If you are on the verge of separation, or your child knows you are getting a divorce...here are questions to ask yourself
 Is your child...
  • struggling with school? Struggling with concentration? Grades dropping?
  • having nightmares?
  • having withdrawls?
  • fighting with peers?
  • angry and out of control?
  • expressing depressed emotions?
 
For Children:
*Do you have a feeling your parents are about to get divorced/separate? Have they addressed the divorce or separation to you already?
Do you ask yourself the following questions...
  • Do I think to my self, "If only I'd been a better kid, they would still be together?"
  • Are my parents playing telephone through me, and making me be the messenger to communicate?
  • Am I afraid I may have to depart from my old ways, like friends school, all because I have to move?
  • Am I angrier that I am living in two households?
  • Am I afraid to confront my parents how I feel about the breakup?
Research Shows...
 Numerous studies show that the trauma of divorce/separation sticks with the children throughout their lives. However, a way to prevent this from happening is to help the children at an early age to express their emotions and be aware of their feelings. By doing this it will help them enjoy a healthy and mature relationship in the future. To help this there are many types of treatment. For example,
  1.  Group therapy-in a small group children begin to accept their parents divorce because they are aware that they aren't alone.
  2. Individual therapy-children usually find it difficult to express their true emotions to their parents, and having a third party who is not emotionally involved. This provides both the parents and children willingly open to communicate.
  3. Family therapy-gives parents to communicate with their children in a neutral environment.
By receiving some sense of group therapy its purpose is to create some healing over time, and create a relationship between the parents and children. These group therapy sessions are there to establish a sense of trust and respect in the family. 


     

            No comments:

            Post a Comment